journey with a learning disability: travels to israel edition

Hi, guys, I'm back from being abroad and back at school! I'm excited to say I have so much to share with you and lots of pictures to share!


Being back in America has given me a chance to reflect on the experience I just went on. To explain, I went on a recent travel abroad urban trip with Birthright Israel which grants trips to Israel to young Jewish teens and adults. 

It was the most fun I have ever had while traveling. As for my first time abroad, alone however, I would love to share my insight on how it was as someone with a learning difference and 22Q. 

Things I learned so you guys are prepared

1. You are the safest when you travel with a group! It's more fun too! 
2. You don't have to worry about travel arrangements and itinerary 
3. You get to meet and see so many cool people and places! 
4. Getting to know the locals is the most memorable part of the trip because you don't feel like a tourist. 
5. Not many hotels have shampoo and conditioner samples (LOL) 
6.  You get the most sleep on the bus rather than the actual hotel! We would get back so late to the hotel that we would just go to sleep and then wake up super early. 
7. While in the middle east...especially in Israel if you're a vegan your top favorite meal is flaffel! 
8. Don't eat too much shwarma if you are a meat eater
9. The best time to go is in December and January in my opinion. 
10. The locals are friendlier than locals in the U.S. 
11.  You will have extreme jet lag but its so worth it for being there you will forget you have it
12. Travel and food apps are a must use while at the hotels or wifi area 
13. Download movies on your mobile device...you wont regret it 
14. Don't worry about gifts, this trip is the gift! 
15. Don't get a SIM card! It was totally the best decision
16. Snake path is very steep, always chat with your tour guide and staff coordinator before if you think you might have trouble going down it. 
17. You learn how to use a map rather than using a GPS! 
18. You have the most magical time of your life 

...I hope you guys get hyped to find a way to travel abroad even if it isn't with Birthright. As someone with a learning disability, it truly helped me be able to learn things easier and more fun! 

Who needs a textbook when you can actually be there! 

Let me know what other travel related things you would like to hear about for someone with a learning disability! I'm happy to share of course! 

Always remember before booking an organizer or going by yourself even no matter where you travel to...you shouldn't be afraid! Be excited cause traveling is the most fun thing to experience! 

Lots of love, 

Lindsey









Comments

Popular Posts